CHECK OUT MORE UPDATES AT http://www.crizfood.com/

TANJUNG BUNGAH MARKET WAN THAN MEE

>> Thursday, July 10, 2008

TBWANTHANMEE01

It really amazed me how an elderly couple could work almost without any rest practically every hour of the day for years without ever taking time off to relax for their old age. You got me right! They have been selling Wan Than Mee 24 hours a day for years, only taking a 10-hour break every Tuesday from 12.30am until 10.30am. Gosh! I won’t want my life to be this way when I get old. Surprisingly, they still get a lot of supporters going for their Wan Than Mee at odd time as the pricing is dirt cheap! But there’s a catch, you might have to serve yourself as the old man could be rather slow in serving as it’s a one-man business.

Out of curiosity, my friend and I went over to try out the noodles. It was cheap indeed but the taste was just average. I guessed this stall is catering to those lower income groups as well as the TAR College students staying around that area. We ordered a dry Wan Than Mee (RM2.50) each with barely a few pieces of char siew pork and a slice of fish cake. It is quite expensive for a plate of almost nothing noodles. Maybe the rest of garnishing were added into our side orders. I’m not sure about that as it was my first time there. The noodles appeared to be as below.

TBWANTHANMEE02

We ordered a bowl of Wan Than Soup (RM2). There are about 20 plus Wan Than. The soup based was fine but the filling for the Wan Than was little and a little lack of flavors.

TBWANTHANMEE02

We also ordered a plate of Fried Wan Than (RM2 for 24 pieces). Instead of waiting for the old man to serve us, we did the frying ourselves. I saw quite a few people did that.. I guessed that must be the trend there as everyone willingly helped out the old man. Well, the taste was the same. The Fried Wan Than also lack of flavors as the filling were little.

TBWANTHANMEE04

Next was the mixed vegetable (RM2) with some dark soy sauce added. As for the drinks (RM1 per glass), we made our own. You can have a choice of Chrysanthemum, Nutmeg, Rose or Keat Poh. Overall, the noodles were just average but considering the crowd and orders, I guessed there were still many compassionate people out there who loved to support this old couples.

TBWANTHANMEE05

Just drive into the Tanjung Bungah Market and you can see only one stall in the hawker centre opening up for business during the wee hours of the night. You sure won’t miss it as there will be continuous flow of people patronizing the stall each night.

TBWANTHANMEEMAP

Name: TANJUNG BUNGAH MARKET WAN THAN MEE
Address: Jalan Sungai Kelian, 11200 Penang, Malaysia.
Opening Hours: 24 hours (Closed Tuesday 12.30am – 10.30am)
GPS: 5.464038, 100.284898

RATING:
Ambience: 5/10 (1-4 cheap, 5-7 average, 8-10 classy)
Food Choices: 6/10 (1-4 limited, 5-7 average, 8-10 many choices)
Taste: 6/10 (1-4 tasteless, 5-7 average, 8-10 excellent)
Pricing: 5/10 (1-4 cheap, 5-7 average, 8-10 expensive)
Service: 5/10 (1-4 bad, 5-7 average, 8-10 excellent)

9 comments:

J2Kfm July 10, 2008 at 12:28 AM  

24 hours a day!!!??? did I read you right?
OMG, imagine life so routine, cooking noodles for 24 hours straight. they must REALLY have a burning passion for their job.
pity about the mediocre quality though.

gill gill July 10, 2008 at 12:54 AM  

Are you sure about this? 24 hours? old couple? i never heard they have 24 hours service, as i was stayed in Tg Bungah for 15 years long! Their Wan Tan Mee is cheap indeed. But is tasteless, kinda "luan luan Lai". i normally will choose the wan tan mee from the next roll.

The Chee Cheong Fun is good there, but they close very early...around 10am.

New Kid on the Blog July 10, 2008 at 7:55 AM  

Excuse me.... 24hrs?

Allie July 10, 2008 at 9:04 AM  

24 hrs??
OMG! Pity the old couple :-(
So sad to hear that...

minchow July 10, 2008 at 2:14 PM  

FYO (Fry Your Own) Wantan?! Hehehe. But my heart goes out to the hard working couple's perseverance!

gill gill July 11, 2008 at 1:10 AM  

They are not selling in such long hour / non stop. As i get the updated information from my dad, the auntie sells on the day time untill 11am, and the uncle take care of the mid night shift, sells from 10pm to 2am. The supper crowds mostly are TAR students.

CK Lam July 11, 2008 at 9:14 PM  

Can't imagine an old couple working non stop 24 hrs...luckily our gill gill managed to check out the time table.

CRIZ LAI July 11, 2008 at 9:50 PM  

Haha... I'm not sure now about the time since Gill has mentioned about the selling time. This was the information given by the old man when I interviewed him and I did confirm thrice on the time. Never mind. I will check again if I ever go up there again.

Thanks for informing Gill :)

Little Inbox July 12, 2008 at 4:20 PM  

I thought choy sum is a must for wantan mee?

Blog Widget by LinkWithin

STALKERS



About

My photo
WELCOME TO MY HUMBLE SITE... This is just a place for me to share my interests with my readers. Feel free to drop a comment and I shall get back to you soonest possible. Have a great day everyone here! NO TAG/MEME REQUEST IN THIS BLOG!!/

STALKERS

Followers